Travel & Design Blog - BY YASMIN METZ-JOHNSON

Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Sam Smith @ Camden Roundhouse 30/5/2014


We are only half way through the year but what an incredible 6 months it has been for Sam Smith, with No 1’s singles one after the other and his debut album ‘In the Lonely Hour’.  I first heard of Sam Smith around the same time most of us did, as his featured on Disclosure’s classic and debut single ‘Latch’ late 2012. A song I still find hard to get tired of. I remember when I first heard it on the radio, one of my first thoughts was who is the featuring artist? I had never heard any male UK artist sing with this kind of range before. With his distinct voice it was not hard to find him online. So my knowledge of Mr. Smith began from then.

Camden Roundhouse - before my camera battery died :(

Doors opened at 19:30, although Sam Smith later revealed via Twitter that he would not be making an appearance until 21:45. Most of the audience was less than pleased what could we do? We later learned the reason for the hold up was because Sam Smith was taking part in Britain’s first live TV advert for Google Play that would be aired during Channel 4’s Alan Carr’s Chatty Man. Which he revealed as his presence finally reached the stage. Sam also explained how he had a number of surprises for the sold out venue, which he really did! Sam commenced the evening with my favourite song from the EP that surprisingly didn’t make the album ‘Nirvana’. Another song he began the evening with was ‘Together’ a collaboration between Nile Rodgers, Jimmy Napes and Disclosure which has a old school summertime feel to it, before he sang his material from the album. I certainly took notice of the crowd when he performed ‘Lay me Down’ in particular as everyone in the venue all sang along shamelessly to pitches only real singers can reach to. I was in complete awe at the audience who sang throughout the show to all his new songs from the album that was only released on Monday! (4 days prior to the gig).  The La la la singer took me by surprise has I had already suspected the night would be mellow and even partly sad, after I had heard the album but it couldn’t have been more different. The evening was a genuinely enjoyable experience as he took lead on stage with the famous and easy two step and led the crowd dancing to the upbeat ‘Restart’ and  ‘Money on my mind’ which he successfully remixed with CeCe Peniston 90’s classic ‘Finally’.  Mixing contemporary music with sounds from the past is looking to become a trend (previous post on Sasha Keable’s gig).


Sam was very expressive about his first album, revealing how it is written about a situation he found himself in last year, where he was in love with someone who didn’t love him back. He then sang his personal favourite ‘Good Thing’ I remember this song in particular as the audience never took their eyes off Sam.
Soon after he effortlessly belted my favourite from the album ‘ I’ve told you know’ after explaining what I thought it was about after a few listens. How you can maybe say too much or reveal your true feelings once you’ve had a few drinks. With his band and three backing singers which included Vula Malinga (a singer and well known featuring artists for Bassment Jaxx).

During the night he sang ‘Leave your Lover’ with surprise guess Jessie Ware, who I had seen last year, so I already knew we were in for a treat as the two dual their voices in a beautiful duet as they stood side by side.  ‘The song I’m not the only one’ is another favourite of mine from the album which he sang as we swayed along listening to his angelic voice. Sam then sang the track which is fair to say made Sam Smith, ‘Latch’ but his own edition that is featured on the album, not so much the dance version we know but still just as good for easy listening. He performed one of his last songs for the night alongside one of the song’s producers and one half of Disclosure, Howard Lawrence who was on the keys as Sam sang harmoniously ‘Make it to me’, before ending the night with the popular single ‘Stay With Me’.  Overall the show was amazing the only way is up for this guy!

Sam Smith

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig